2009年12月1日星期二

Chinese Parents

Paediatric Audiology

When I studied in university, one lecturer introduced her experience in China, actually in Beijing TongRen Hospital. She said that the big difference is that in China, there are always a big family present in clinic. Both grandparents and other family members will come hospital with the young parents with newborn baby, and all of these family members are keen to provide their comments on medical management. In contrast, in Australia, it is rear to see the grandparents come with young children in hospital. Furthermore, the Chinese parents are always rely on their parents to look after the babies rather than by themselves. At that time, I am not very agree with her, but now in my clinical experience in here, I have to say sometime she is right.

When we have Chinese patients, it is more likely my colleagues want me to see them as the language problem. However, I found the Chinese parents are not ease to deal with. Normally, the mum is very anxieties and no idea how to settle her baby, and usually it is the father to settle the babies, and mum is easy to lost patience if her baby can not be settled. If the test results showed some bad news, mum is always upset for the future but not the current management they need to face and always want to know where is the responsibilities come from.

Today I see a Chinese parents and have all these characteristics. They running late (that is also popular in Chinese parents), could not settle their baby at all. When we found a hearing loss, the question is focus on whether or not people will discriminate the baby when he grow up. I have to work over time. However, I will be happy if they think I am really helpful.

没有评论:

发表评论